Do You Need To Be Concerned About Smart Home Hacking In Richmond?
In a variety of ways, smart components like surveillance equipment and video doorbells have made our lives more secure. We have the ability to get updates when someone comes up our front porch, and we can have video clips sent to us when questionable behavior is happening. Having implements we may access via the internet advises us to developing threats immediately. But there is one primary drawback. The access we enjoy is also creating a pathway for online invasions.
While you shouldn’t lay awake at night worrying about smart home hacking in Richmond, you ought to be aware of the potential safety issue and take action to avoid it.
Ways To Prevent Smart Home Hacking
It’s incredible how the internet has changed our daily lives as just about anything is accessible online, including your security devices, smart TVs, and even your coffee maker. This also creates more opportunities for hackers to invade your network. That doesn't mean you have to eschew wireless home protection packages or other smart appliances. Alternatively, consider these recommendations and take steps to keep prowlers off your network.
- Protect with strong passwords: This is a must for every account, and that includes your home Wi-Fi. Use lower and upper casing and a mix of numbers, letters, and special characters. Stay away from birthdays, anniversaries, or other options hackers may easily guess. A password creator will provide something absolutely random and password management software can help you track your different accounts and passwords.
- Change default settings: When hooking up a new router, it will probably come with a preprogrammed password to get you started. Adjust it immediately. Hackers may be aware of these default settings as well. Configuring your private network and router correctly from day one is vital in keeping you protected.
- Create separate networks: Why include your smart oven, your home security components, and your home computer on a single network? The majority of routers permit you to initiate a separate guest network. Make use of it and shield important information present on your laptop, desktop, and phone.
- Consider installing a firewall: Firewalls aren’t merely for commercial networks. They may also be incorporated into your private network. Firewalls will pay close attention to the traffic on your network and thwart suspect activity. You could opt for a router that offers an integrated firewall.
- Utilize the most up-to-date encryption standards and security protocols: If you have a recently manufactured router, you will likely have the chance to use WPA3, the current wireless security protocol. If that’s not an option, WPA2 with AES encryption will be sufficient. You need to look for home security devices that protect with 128-bit encryption or higher.
- Be certain firmware and software is up-to-date: Keep your software and firmware on the most recent version for all devices, which includes your connected video cameras. Many times, these updates will patch known issues and bolster your security.
Beware of Shoddy Smart Home Components In Richmond
One of the perks of turning to a respected name like ADT is knowing that security components are consistently being inspected to check for susceptibilities. Other lesser-known options might not be quite as diligent. Getting your smart thermostat, video doorbell, surveillance system, and additional smart devices from a single reputable company like ADT is the right move. And having all of your equipment installed at once will help ensure flawless configuration, performance, and security. It’s important to note that ADT Command, your centralized touchscreen, uses two-way encryption when interacting with your connected devices.
Customize Your Own Richmond Home Defense Package
Now that you have more knowledge on how to keep your private network shielded from hackers, you’re ready to begin designing your own home security in Richmond. The security professionals at Secure24 Alarm Systems will help you customize the perfect package for your family. Contact us at (804) 294-0619 or submit the form to get started.